Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Where Transformation Happens and What I Wore


Last Saturday, Tacoma Little Theatre (I wrote about it a few times before, e.g., HERE about its almost 100 year history) presented a one evening benefit reading of LOVE, LOSS AND WHAT I WORE by Nora and Delia Ephron based on the bestselling book by Ilene Beckerman. Directed by Suzy Willhoft, one of my favorite local directors, it was a wonderful evening of both laughs and tears, and on too many occasions I felt like I was having a conversation with my dearest blogging friends. It was a series of monologues and dialogues about clothes, style, relationships with our mothers and sisters, and about life. That feeling that we have nothing to wear, or how we can never can find anything in our closet, or how when we finally put an outfit on, we are now too sweaty, and how impossible a simple act of going to the bathroom becomes when we wear a jumpsuit, and finally THE question - when and why black became our favorite color... these and many more things that Justin said he hears from me on a regular basis. What can I say? I wish you were there! And maybe we all need to check out that book!




We parked by the apartment buildings on the quiet residential street near the theater, and were immediately greeted by this charming creature. She was talking to me the same way our cats talk to us, and I talked back to her the same way I talk to our cats. After making first acquaintances, this beautiful feline asked me gracefully to open a door for her. She looked at me, meowed and scratched the apartment building door exactly the same way our cats do it at home! I had to explain that, alas, I didn't have an entrance key. I think, at the end, we understood each other. And I think someone with a key showed up eventually, because on the way back to our car, the charming creature wasn't there.



As it often happens, the surroundings were just perfect for my outfit, without any planning - serendipity! Talking about jumpsuits, let me introduce you to mine. It is by Melissa McCarthy who has a wonderful sense of humor reflected not only in her roles, but also in her designs. Remember my mushroom top (HERE) and my blue floral dress (HERE)? Those are Melissa's. I just love that her clothing line has this built in irony - I think we all take ourselves and life a bit too serious at times, and it is simply impossible wearing her clothes! It was a last year purchase (sale) and I wore it a few times, but only now I wanted to share it on the blog because finally all the pieces of this outfit came together. I simply didn't have the right shoes for it before, and these new-to-me earrings were on point as well (found at an antique mall, not that they are antique of course, for only a couple of bucks). 



The platforms are by Clarks, and I am still breaking them in, but they are quite comfortable. I think I only had one pair of Clarks before, but in my recent trips to Nordstrom Rack I was lucky to find comfortable summer shoes with 50% to 90% discount, and I bought a few pairs and almost all are by this brand. They are rather classical feminine shoes, not super trendy, but not without style and really well made.



Tacoma Little Theatre is one of our favorite local theaters, and it is located in the quaint North Slope neighborhood of Tacoma that is on the National Register of Historic Places, with a variety of architectural styles, mostly residential homes.




During the intermission, Justin and I went for a walk in the neighborhood and took some pictures. I haven't seen (or didn't pay attention?) to the other mural on the wall of the theater before. How lovely and colorful, and just spot on for us creative types. I feel like I am constantly in one of the stages of inner transformation, a butterfly, or a caterpillar, or a cocoon, or sometimes yes, the dark liquid. Sometimes I am a butterfly in one sense or area of life and a dark liquid in another, all at the same time. And then the cycle inside of me repeats over and over again! It's just the story of my life. And you?



Photos by Justin
Location: North Slope Historic District, Tacoma, WA

Jumpsuit - Melissa McCarthy (last year)
Hat - Old Navy (old)
Platforms - Clarks via Nordstrom Rack
Glasses - Lane Bryant (old)
Purse - via TJ MAXX (old)
Earrings - via antique mall (old, but not antique :)

Linking up with Visible Monday

* * *

18 comments:

  1. would have loved to go with you in the little theater, watch the fun reading, adore your gorgeous jumpsuit, pet the sweet kitty........
    i can totally relate to that butterfly/caterpillar idea. its a genius description. you´r a philosoph!
    clarks makes some pretty and timeless shoes in very good quality, have a pair of pumps and they´r very comfy....
    huge hugses! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beate! I would love to go to theater with you too! That would be so much fun!!
      And yes, I'm a philosopher at heart - can't help it. :)
      Lots of love <3

      Delete
  2. well, I'm going to look for that book!, everything you told us about the play looked very interesting to me!.
    And I love your jumpsuit, you look fabulously hippietastic, with a twist!, lovely hat and lovely earrings too!, groovy yet elegant!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your look, and of course the courtly kitty. That book is a good one and I'm glad you enjoyed the play! Thanks for linking up, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalia I wish I can go to this theater with you :) You look fabulous in this jumpsuit. I am lucky it is not black ;) This colours and tropical look is great.
    Big hugh Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun to go to theater together? <3

      Delete
  5. That's a divinely fabulous jumpsuit. I think that's what the cat was trying to tell you, they know a well dressed woman when they see one!
    Your talk sounds interesting but confirms what I already know, I don't seem to have a relationship with clothes like normal women. The jumpsuit/toilet thing's easy - as long as it's got wide legs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can teach classes on wearing jumpsuits, my dear!! Glad you love this number! <3

      Delete
  6. Natalia , you look wonderful in your colourful jumpsuit , perfect for your evening at the theatre.Oh how I would love to see that performance , it sounds right up my alley.
    I so enjoyed the photos of the area and the theatre and that gorgeous cat, not forgetting the caterpillar and the message of transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you enjoyed this post, my dear Jill!! I'd love to go to theater together! <3

      Delete
  7. This jumpsuit is super cute- I just bought a cute dress by Melissa!
    - www.inmyjoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Melissa's designs! Can't wait to see what you've picked, dear Joi!

      Delete
  8. Wow, Natalia, you are looking absolutely stunning in that brilliant jumpsuit! The Clarks wedges go really well with it too! I love Clarks shoes, which are stylish and timeless, and super comfortable too. The only shoes which do not give me instant blisters. I'll definitely check out that book, by the way, looks like a brilliant read! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I have wide feet, so it's especially challenging to find comfortable AND stylish shoes for me. These are not wide width, but they pretty comfy. It'll take time to stretch a bit, but the leather is very soft. <3

      Delete
  9. We constantly evolve and transform, our inner selves and our outer style! The lines of your jumpsuit are accented so perfectly by the lines of your wide brim hat and the lines in the heels of your shoes. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words, Judith - they mean a lot to me! I think some people sense change/transformation more than others, some are open to it more than others. But I am like you, I feel it is such a huge part of the process of life - change. Without a change, we would not be who we are. Life is all about change, in a big picture.

      Delete